Love the taste of a Big Mac and want to replicate the the recipe at home? Then you have to try this grilled Long Mac. It has all the delicious ingredients of the burger made in a hollowed out bread loaf on the grill. I used my charcoal grill but this can also be done on a griddle. The crunchiness of the grilled bread with the beefy goodness from the patty and delicious sauciness from the homemade thousand island dressing will make you going in for seconds.
Make sure to cook the beef through.
To start, split a french bread in half and remove the inside leaving a thin layer and the crust. This will be used as the vessel for your homemade big mac bread. Next, add a layer of shredder cheddar cheese followed by ground beef. For the protein, season the ground beef with Dad’s All Purpose Rub, mix it in well and start filling in the hallowed out bread leveling it off at the top.
Heat up the grill to 450 degrees and set it up for dual zone. The same temperature applies if you do it on the griddle.
First, place the loaded bread on the direct side meat down. This will allow the beef to cook over the fire and get a nice char on the outside. Leave it on the grates for 6-7 minutes and then carefully flip the bread over and place it higher on the indirect side. This will allow the rest of the beef, especially on the bottom, to cook through. Add slices of American Cheese and continue to grill until the beef reaches an internal temp of 165 degrees.
It’s all about the big mac toppings.
In order to make this into a tasty grilled long mac, you will need the right toppings. Shred up some iceberg lettuce, hydrate dried minced onions and drizzle with a homemade version of the thousand island dressing.
The dressing is very simple to make. In a mixing bowl, add mayo, mustard, sweet relish, french dressing, paprika, garlic and onion powder and white vinegar.
Slice the long mac into small single serve pieces and enjoy!
Printer friendly recipe below:
- 1 French loaf
- l lbs Ground beef
- 1 tbsp Dad's all purpose rub
- 4 slices American cheese
- 2 cups Shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup Shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp Dried minced onion
- 2 tbsp Mayo
- 2 tbsp Yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp Sweet relish
- 2 tbsp French dressing
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp White vinegar
- Split a french bread in half and remove the inside leaving a thin layer and the crust.
- Add a layer of shredder cheddar cheese.
- Season the ground beef with Dad's All Purpose rub and mix it well. Fill in the loaf with the ground beef. Make sure to fill in the hallowed out bread leveling it off at the top.
- Heat up the grill to 450 degrees and set it up for dual zone.
- First, place the loaded bread on the direct side meat down. Leave it on the grates for 6-7 minutes.
- Carefully flip the bread over and place it higher on the indirect side.
- Add slides of American Cheese and continue to grill until the beef reaches an internal temp of 165 degrees.
- Remove the grilled Big Mac bread off the grill, add the minced onions, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes and drizzle the homemade thousand island dressing all over the top of the loaf.
Check out the Recipes Page for other tasty ideas!