Love the taste of a Big Mac and want to replicate the taste at home? Then you have to try this grilled Big Mac bread. It has all the delicious ingredients of the burger made in a hollowed out bread loaf on the grill. I used my charcoal grill the first time and re-did the same recipe on the griddle. While both were good, I recommend using a griddle for this recipe. The meat will cook more evenly and the bread will be nicely toasted.
Make sure to cook the beef through all the way.
To start, split a french bread in half and remove the inside leaving a thin layer and the crust. This will be used as the vessel for your homemade big mac bread. Next, add a layer of shredder cheddar cheese followed by ground beef. For the protein, make sure to fill in the hallowed out bread leveling it off at the top. Season it with salt, pepper and powdered garlic and this loaf is ready to hit the grill. I used Feges Beef Rub which has all the above already pre-mixed.
Heat up the grill to 450 degrees and set it up for dual zone. The same temperature applies if you do it on the griddle.
First, place the loaded bread on the direct side meat down. This will allow the beef to cook over the fire and get a nice char on the outside. Leave it on the grates for 6-7 minutes and then carefully flip the bread over and place it higher on the indirect side. This will allow the rest of the beef, especially on the bottom, to cook through. Add slices of American Cheese and continue to grill until the beef reaches an internal temp of 165 degrees.
It’s all about the big mac toppings.
In order to make this into a tasty grilled big mac bread, you will need the right toppings. Shred up some iceberg lettuce, dice up a few tomatoes and hydrate some dried minced onions. Also do not forget the key ingredient which is Thousand Island dressing.
Remove the grilled Big Mac bread off the grill, add all your toppings, slice into small single serve pieces and enjoy!.
Printer friendly recipe below:
Grilled Big Mac Bread
- 1 French Loaf
- 1 lbs Ground beef
- 1 cup Shredded cheddar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 4 Slices of American cheese
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 2 cups Shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup Thousand island dressing
- 1 tbsp Dried minced onion
- Split a french bread in half and remove the inside leaving a thin layer and the crust
- Add a layer of shredder cheddar cheese
- Fill in with the ground beef. Make sure to fill in the hallowed out bread leveling it off at the top.
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic and onion.
- Heat up the grill to 450 degrees and set it up for dual zone.
- First, place the loaded bread on the direct side meat down. Leave it on the grates for 6-7 minutes.
- Carefully flip the bread over and place it higher on the indirect side.
- Add slides of American Cheese and continue to grill until the beef reaches an internal temp of 165 degrees.
- Remove the grilled Big Mac bread off the grill, add the minced onions, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes and drizzle the thousand island dressing all over the top of the loaf
Check out the Recipes Page for other tasty ideas!