People are very passionate on what they put on their pizza. One of the more controversial and debated ingredients is pineapple. Personally, I love Hawaiian pizza. The saltiness from the ham and sweetness from the pineapple is the perfect combo with the greasiness of the cheese. Make a sandwich using pizza ingredients and these Hawaiian Pizza sliders will make for the perfect party or tailgating treat or just a great lunch idea!
Step 1: Assemble the Hawaiian Pizza Sliders.
None of the ingredients need to be pre-grilled. It’s a simple assembly process where you can add as much or as little of the Hawaiian pizza ingredients onto your slider. I kept mine simple with pizza sauce, black forest ham, mozzarella cheese and of course pineapple.
To start, slice the original Kings Hawaiian sweet rolls down the middle without separating the individual buns. Spread a layer of pizza sauce and sprinkle a generous layer of shredded mozzarella over the entire bottom half. Next, add in layers of ham. Add as many layers as you like, I went with 2.
For the pineapple, I used a fresh, ripe pineapple, but a canned option will work as well if you can’t find any fresh. Make sure to peal off the bark and cube up the fruit into small bite size pieces. Place them over the ham and add another layer of shredded mozzarella cheese.
Season the entire bottom loaf with Italian seasoning. Garlic and herb seasoning is another great alternative.
Chef’s note: other toppings to consider are crunchy bacon, garlic and bell peppers.
Step 2: Grill the Hawaiian Pizza Sliders.
Preheat the grill to 300 degrees and set it for indirect heat. This means there is a barrier between the live fire and the grates. On the big green egg, there is a plate setter accessory that does just that. If cooking on a gas grill, turn the burners on one side and grill on the opposite end.
Place the loaded open faced Hawaiian pizza slider on the grill and let it cook for about 10 minutes. This will allow the bread to toast up and the cheese to melt.
While the sliders are on the grill, quickly make a garlic butter sauce that will be brushed over the top. In a mixing bowl, melt a stick of unsalted butter, add more Italian seasoning and a generous scoop of garlic. Whisk the ingredients together.
Once you see the cheese is nicely melted over the open faced slider, cover it with the top piece, brush the fragrant garlic butter over the top of the pillowy buns and let it cook for another 2 minutes.
Remove off the grill, slice into smaller single serve sliders and enjoy these deliciously amazing Hawaiian pizza sliders. Enjoy!
Printer Friendly Recipe
Hawaiian Pizza Sliders
- 1 pkg Original Kings Hawaiian sweet rolls
- 2 cups Diced pineapple
- 1/4 lbs Black forest ham
- 8 oz Mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbps Pizza sauce
- 2 tbsp Minced garlic
- 1 tbps Italian Seasoning
- 1 stick Unsalted butter
- Slice the original Kings Hawaiian sweet rolls down the middle without separating the individual buns.
- Spread a layer of pizza sauce and sprinkle a generous layer of shredded mozzarella over the entire slice. Next, add in layers of ham, chopped pineapple and more cheese on top. Season the top with 1/2 tbsp of Italian seasoning.
- Preheat the grill to 300 degrees and set it for indirect heat. This
- Place the loaded open faced Hawaiian pizza slider on the grill and let it cook for about 10 minutes. This will allow the bread to toast up and the cheese to melt.
- In a mixing bowl, melt a stick of unsalted butter, add more Italian seasoning and a generous scoop of garlic. Whisk the ingredients together.
- Cover the open faced slider with the top pillow rolls and brush the garlic butter over the top. Cook for another 2 minutes before removing and serving.
Check out the Recipes Page for other tasty ideas!