This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
As you know, I love spicy food, and this recipe just brought it all together. It has a great mix of spices, smokiness and sweetness. I’ve never been a big fan of this protein until I started testing and making my own recipes. And let me tell you, this cajun honey ham is on top of my list of favorites. The tenderness of the ham with with the crispy edges covered in this deliciously flavorful glaze will be the perfect centerpiece for your next holiday gathering.
Prep and Grill the Ham
Remove the ham out of the packaging and place it onto a wire rack inside a foil pan. The reason for the wire rack is to allow air to flow around the ham and allow the rendered juices to drip without making the bottom soggy. The secret to the tenderness and juiciness of this ham is the dark rum. Yes, that’s right! Pour a little rum on the bottom of the pan and it’s ready to hit the grill.
Please note: the alcohol content will cook off while on simmer making it safe to consume by children.
Preheat your grill to 300 degrees for indirect heat. Total cook time will depend on the size of the ham, but should take about 2.5 hours or until the internal temperature of the ham reaches 150 degrees and the edges start to crips up.
How to make homemade cajun honey butter sauce.
This sweet and spicy sauce is what made this dish for me. It has the perfect balance of sugar and heat in a caramelized sticky glaze.
In a sauce pan, melt butter, add honey, minced garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper and Italian seasoning. Feel free to adjust the level of heat depending on your preference with the cayenne and pepper flakes. Simmer over low-med heat making sure to continuously whisk as the sauce thickens.
While the ham is still on the grill, pour this amazingly aromatic glaze over the meat and let it caramelize over the edges.
Carve and serve this delicious cajun honey ham to family and friends. Enjoy!
Printer friendly recipe below:
Cajun Honey Ham
- 1 Spiral cut ham
- 1 cup Dark rum
Cajun Honey Sauce ingredients
- 4 sticks Unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 2 tbsp Minced garlic
- 2 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Crushed red peppers
- 1 tbsp Cayenne pepper
- Remove the ham out of the packaging and place it onto a wire rack inside a foil pan.
- Pour a little rum on the bottom of the pan.
- Preheat your grill to 300 degrees for indirect heat.
- 2.5 hours total cook time or until the internal temperature reaches 150 degrees and the edges start to crips up.
Cajun Honey sauce instructions
- Ina sauce pan, melt butter, add honey, minced garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper and Italian seasoning. Simmer over low-med heat making sure to continuously whisk as the sauce thickens.
- Pour the glaze over the ham while still on the grill and let it caramelize over the edges.
Check out the Recipes Page for other tasty ideas!