Have some leftover chicken? Or perhaps a store-bought rotisserie chicken? Let’s take that chicken and make some tasty chicken fajitas with taco seasoning.
Sizzling fajita time
Making tacos from leftover chicken is a family favorite at our house. It makes for an easy and quick meal and we get to use up our leftovers. Win win in my book.
Start by shredding the chicken and slicing 1 onion and 2 bell peppers. We want to have about 1 cup or so of chicken and 2 cups of vegetables. Fire up the grill and use either a cast iron skillet or a cast iron griddle to sauté the onions and peppers. I like to season my fajita veggies with Meat Church Fajita Seasoning . Sprinkle the seasoning on the veggies and cook them for about 5 minutes, until softened.
Add the shredded chicken to the veggies and mix it all together. Cook an additional 5 minutes or so, until the chicken is warm and veggies are cooked through.
For the tortillas, I love using Caramelo Tortillas. These are hand made, Sonora style flour tortillas and they are absolutely delicious. Remember, the taco is only as good as the tortilla so be sure to get the good stuff.
Warm up the tortillas in the cast iron alongside the chicken and veggies. You want everything to be cooked through and nice and warm.
And now, the best part, time to put it all together!
Take your tortillas and fill them up with that delicious chicken and veggie mix. Feel free to use any salsa you have handy. I like a sweeter salsa on my fajitas and mango is one of my favorite go tos. Top with a squeeze of lime and a dash of cilantro, and your taco is ready.
View this post on Instagram
Check out the full start to finish video from my Instagram page. These were cooked on a Big Green Egg using the cast iron half moon insert. Printer friendly recipe is below.
Chicken Fajita Tacos
- 1 Medium Sized Onion Sliced
- 2 Bell Peppers Sliced
- 1 cup Fully Cooked Shredded Chicken
- 6 Tortillas
- 1 tbsp Fajita Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Mango Salsa
- 1 Lime
- Start by sauteeing the sliced onions and peppers on a HOT cast iron skillet or griddle.
- Season the veggies with the fajita seasoning and cook for aprox 5 minutes
- Add the shredded chicken and mix with the veggies, cook an additional 5-10 minutes, until the chicken is warmed up and the veggies are soft
- Warm up the tortillas on the griddle until soft
- Place the chicken and veggie mix inside the tortilla, top with 1 tbsp of salsa and a squeeze of lime
Check out the Recipe page for other tasty dishes.