This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Potato pancakes are one of my favorite Polish dishes. Sprinkled with sugar or topped with sour cream or beef stew, this was a household staple. I wanted to take another approach to this childhood favorite of mine and make loaded potato pancakes with grilled chicken and cheese. It came out amazing! No leftovers! The crispy pancakes topped with savory tender chicken pieces all covered in melted cheese was the perfect way to bring together my love for grilled food and Polish kitchen.
Table of Contents
Step 1: How to make the best Potato Pancakes.
Potato pancakes require very few ingredients. This was a dish that was made in the winter as fresh produce was low, but potatoes were plenty.
Start by peeling a few russet potatoes and rinse them clean. Grate the potatoes and an onion making sure there are no lumps in the mixture. You can also use a food processor to make this process faster and easier. Next, strain the mush with paper towels or strainer to remove all the access liquid.
Add in flour, eggs, sour cream and a pinch of salt or Dad’s All Purpose seasoning which I used. Mix it all together and set a side while you prep the chicken.
Must have grillin seasonings!
Step 2: Prepare the chicken.
As I mentioned, potato pancakes are traditionally enjoyed by themselves with a sprinkle of sugar, sour cream or topped with homemade beef stew. Adding my own GWD twist, I decided grilled chicken would work just as well if not better.
As always, I used chicken thighs. I prefer this cut of chicken over the breast because it’s fattier, more flavorful and easier to prepare. Cut the chicken into cubes and season with Dad’s All Purpose seasoning. Additionally, cube up an onion that will be mixed in with the chicken to add flavor and texture.
Step 3: Time to grill up the loaded potato pancakes.
Preheat the griddle, stove top pan or grill to a medium to high heat. Add a generous amount of olive oil and wait until it heats up well. Using a ladle or large spoon, scoop up the potato mixture and gently pour it onto the hot oil, spreading it slightly. After 2-3 minutes, flip it over. The crust should be golden brown in color with a crispy texture. Remove them off the griddle and let them rest on a wire rack.
On the same flattop, add the seasoned chicken and diced onions. Mix the ingredients together and grill hibachi style until they are grilled to temperature. Chicken thighs should reach an internal temperature of 175 degrees. Before removing the chicken, add some shredded cheese to the mixture and let if melt over the chicken for that extra ooey gooey texture.
Serve the loaded potato pancakes with a spoonful of sour cream and chopped chives. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
All my recipes can be replicated in the oven, stove top or gas grill. You do not need a big green egg or weber grill to replicate any of my recipes.
Yes, any chicken thigh recipe can be replaced with the breast. The breast is leaner than the thighs, therefore remove the meat at 160 degrees and let it rest. This will ensure a tender and juicy chicken breast.
Printer Friendly Recipe:
Loaded Potato Pancakes
Potato Pancake Ingredients
- 4 Russet potatoes
- 1 Yellow onion
- 2 Egg
- 1/4 cup All purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Sour cream
- 1 tsp Dad's all purpose rub
- 1 lbs Chicken thighs
- 1/2 Yellow onion
- 1 tbsp Dad's all purpose rub
- Peel the russet potatoes and rinse them clean.
- Grate the potatoes and an onion making sure there are no lumps in the mixture.
- Place the potato mixture into a fine strainer or kitchen towel and try to squeeze almost all of the liquid into a mixing bowl. Discard the liquid.
- Add in flour, eggs, sour cream and Dad's All Purpose seasoning. Mix it all together.
- Cut the chicken and onion into cubes and season with Dad's All Purpose seasoning.
- Using a ladle or large spoon, scoop up the. potato mixture and gently pour it onto the hot oil, spreading it slightly. After 2-3 minutes, flip it over.
- On the same flattop, add the seasoned chicken and diced onions. Grill hibachi style until they are grilled to an internal temperature of 175 degrees.
- Before removing the chicken, add some shredded cheese to the mixture and let if melt over the chicken.
- Serve with a spoon full of sour cream and chopped chives.
Be sure to visit the Recipes page for other tasty ideas.