Surf N’ Turf, an American classic. And what better pairing than a delicious NY Strip Steak from Swift Meats with some giant tiger shrimp. The steaks from Swift are highly marbled, which makes them very tender when they are cooked. They are also full of beefy flavor and pair great with the tiger shrimp.
This easy-to-follow recipe can be made any day of the week and will please everyone. The key here is to cook the steaks first, and while they are resting, cook the shrimp. This allows everything to stay nice and warm and be served at the same time.
The recipe and ingredients are enough for two people, because the only thing better then Surf N’ Turf is sharing it with someone else. For a single portion, simply use half of everything listed below.
Start by bringing the steaks up to room temperature by letting them rest on your countertop for 45-60 minutes. This will let them cook more evenly. For the seasoning, I keep it very basic. Equal parts kosher salt, black pepper and garlic powder. This mix will complement the beefy flavor without overpowering it.
For the shrimp, make sure they are deveined and cleaned, and the shells are removed. You can leave on the tail piece. Season the shrimp with your favorite Cajun seasoning. The extra spice will complement the shrimp and steaks nicely.
After everything is seasoned, it’s time to grill these up. Get your grill to 450 degrees and grill the steaks over direct heat, turning them every 1 minute or so. This will allow them to cook evenly and build up the outside crust. For medium rare, pull when the internal temp is 125 degrees. This should take about 6 minutes or so.
Bring the steaks inside and let them rest. While they are resting, the shrimp go on the grill. One minute per side is all it takes with these. They cook very fast.
Pull the shrimp and now we plate. Give the shrimp a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and top with a little chopped parsley. Slice the steaks and serve alongside the shrimp.
Talk about a delicious and easy meal that is sure to please everyone!
Check out the Recipes page for other tasty ideas!
- 2 Swift Meats NY Strip Steaks
- 1 pound tiger shrimp (approx. 8-10 shrimp)
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 small lemon
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- Remove the steaks from the packaging and pat them dry. Let the steaks come up to room temperature by leaving on your countertop for 45-60 minutes.
- Mix the salt, pepper, garlic powder and season the steaks on all sides, making sure to get the edges.
- For the shrimp, make sure they are deveined and cleaned, and the shell is removed.
- Toss the shrimp in the Cajun seasoning, making sure they are coated evenly.
- Warm up your grill to 450 degrees and grill the steaks directly over the heat source. Flip every minute to ensure an even cook and pull when the internal temperature is 125 degrees for medium rare or 135 for medium, approx. 6-8 minutes.
- Remove the steaks, cover loosely with foil and let them rest at room temperature.
- While the steaks are resting, place the shrimp on the grill and cook for 1 minute per side. Remove when the shrimp are opaque, and the tails have turned red.
- Plate the shrimp on your cutting board, topping with the chopped parsley and giving them a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Slice the steaks into even slices and plate alongside the shrimp.