Chicken is such a great protein for marinades. You can really play around with flavors to transform a plain piece of meat into something out of this world. While I love the taste of BBQ, sometimes I need something a little more refreshing and aromatic. This tandoori inspired chicken was grilled to perfection, tender and flavorful from the marinade and enjoyed by the whole family. You can prep this dish the night before in the marinade and just pop it on the grill the following day for dinner.
How to make the tandoori marinade.
This tandoori marinade is full of amazing Indian inspired flavors. For the base, pour plain yogurt into a mixing bowl. Next add minced ginger, garlic and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Mix it all together and start adding the spices. Spice mix consists of ground coriander, cumin, cayenne pepper, turmeric, garam masala and paprika. Mix it into the yogurt base and it’s time to marinade the chicken.
I went with chicken quarters. Any cut of chicken will work for this recipe. The reason for choosing quarters was because they are fattier and more flavorful.
Before dunking the chicken in the marinade, pull the skin off since you want the meat to absorb as much of the marinade as possible. Also, cut slits on the meat for maximum flavor. For best results, marinade the chicken overnight, but if pressed for time, marinate for at least 1 hour.
Time to get the grill going!
Preheat the grill to 350 degrees and set it for dual zone grilling. Place the marinaded tandoori inspired chicken quarters on the grill on direct heat first. Leave them on the grates 5 minutes per side to get some color and move them to the indirect heat set up.
After 30 minutes or when the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 175 degrees, remove the tandoori inspired chicken quarters from the grill and let them rest for 10 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
Printer Friendly Recipe
Tandoori Inspired Chicken
- 4 Chicken Quarters
- 1 cup Plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp Minced garlic
- 1 tbsp Minced ginger
- 1 tbsp Ground coriander
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Garam masala
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- For the base, pour plain yogurt into a mixing bowl.
- Next add minced ginger, garlic and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Mix it all together and start adding the spices: ground coriander, cumin, cayenne pepper, turmeric, garam masala and paprika.
- Pull the skin off and cut slits on the meat for maximum flavor.
- Let the chicken marinade overnight.
- Preheat the grill to 350 degrees and set it for dual zone grilling.
- Leave them on the grates 5 minutes per side to get some color
- Move the grilled chicken to the indirect side and grill for another30 minutes or when the internal temperature of the meat reaches 175 degrees.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Check out the Recipes Page for other tasty ideas!