Smoking ribs is my favorite thing to grill. I’m always looking for new ways and flavors to incorporate into the recipe. This time, I went with Sweet and Spicy BBQ ribs which were out of this world! This easy and tasty recipe will deliver tender, juicy, sweet with a hint of heat and fall off the bone deliciousness! It’s finger licking good!
Start with prepping the Spare Ribs.
Starting off with prep, I like to stick to the basics. Pat the spare ribs dry and trim any loose fatty ends. I prefer using spare ribs over baby back because they have more fattiness on them which delivers are more flavorful bite. Next, season both sides with your favorite bbq seasoning and smoke them on the grill at 250 degrees, indirect heat for 3 hours.
After 3 hours, wrap them up in foil, add ½ cup of apple juice and cook for an additional 1-2 hours, until ribs are nice and tender. Target internal temperature should be 200 degrees. While these bad boys are cooking, let’s prep your sauce.
How to make the Sweet and Spicy BBQ sauce.
Sautee 1 sliced jalapeno and 1 small white onion until they soften up. Add 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1 cup tomato sauce, ½ cup apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, ½ tbsp cayenne, 1 tbsp ground mustard, 2 tbsp honey and ½ cup brown sugar. Simmer everything for 10 minutes and then transfer to a blender until you get a smooth liquified sauce.
Sauce up the ribs at the very end and put them back on the grill for the final 10 minutes or until the sauce is nice and tacky.
Let the Sweet and Spicy BBQ ribs rest for 10-15 minutes, slice and enjoy!
Check out the recipe video below:
View this post on Instagram
Printer friendly recipe below:
Sweet and Spicy BBQ Ribs
- 3 Slabs of spare ribs
- 1 cup BBQ seasoning
- 1/2 cup Apple juice
- 1 Jalapeno pepper
- 1 White onion
- 1 tbsp Minced garlic
- 1 cup Tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup Cayenne
- 1 tbsp Ground mustard
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- Pat the ribs dry and trim any loose fatty ends.
- Season both sides with your favorite bbq seasoning.
- Set the grill to 250 degrees, indirect heat and cook for 3 hours.
- When done, wrap in foil and add ½ cup of apple juice. Cook for an additional 1-1.5 hours.
- Sautee 1 sliced jalapeno and 1 small white onion until they soften up.
- Add minced garlic, tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne, ground mustard, honey and brown sugar.
- Simmer everything for 10 minutes and then blend until smooth.
- Sauce up the ribs at the very end and put them back on the grill for the final 10minutes or until the sauce is nice and tacky.
Check out the Recipes Page for other tasty ideas!