This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Smash burgers are a quick and fun weekday meal. The idea is simple and so is the recipe. You can learn from me how to improve your grilling skills.
Beef, we’re having it for dinner
It’s called a smash burger because part of the recipe is smashing the ball of ground beef on the griddle. I like to start with 80/20 ground beef blend. It give the burgers enough fat for a juicy bite. I roll the ground beef into bigger than golf ball size. The balls will soon be smashed!
The ideal way to cook these is on a flattop grill. If you don’t have that, you can also use a cast iron griddle. Either way, I recommend doing it outside. It will keep the mess out of your kitchen.
Start by getting the grill HOT. We want those burgers to have a nice crust and the only way to do that is to have a hot grill. While the grill is warming up, thinly slice 1 small yellow onion and set it aside.
Put the balls of meat on the grill and using a spatula smash them down! Press down hard and quick. The ball will flatten out, making a smashed patty. Season the top with some kosher salt and black pepper and place a small amount of the onions right on top of the patty.
Grill the patty for about a minute or so, until the bottom has a nice crust. Using your spatula, flip the burger with the onions and cook the other side. The onions will cook with the meat for a tasty mix. Finally, place a slice of cheese on top of the patty. While this is cooking, take your brioche buns, butter them up and place right on the grill to toast up.
Time to assemble
Take your toasted buns, and put ketchup and mustard on the bottom one. Add two patties right on top of that, cheese onions and all, top with a couple slices of pickles and the top bun. And just like that, you have your simple and tasty smash burger! Check out the full start to finish video below from my Instagram page.
View this post on Instagram
Check out the video to see the full start to finish process. Printer friendly recipe is below.
- 1 lb 80/20 Ground Beef
- 1 tbsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tbsp Pepper
- 4 Brioche buns
- 8 Sliced cheese
- 1 Small onion, thinly sliced
- Roll 8 equal sized balls from the ground beef
- Place the balls of beef on a HOT flattop grill and using a spatula smash them flat
- Season the top of the smashed patties with salt and pepper
- Add some sliced onion right on top of the patty
- Grill until the bottom has a nice crust and then flip it over, cook an additional 1-2 minutes
- Add a slice of cheese on top of each patty
- Butter up the brioche buns and place alongside the patties on the grill to toast up
- To assemble the burgers, put mustard and ketchup on the bottom bun, add 2 patties with cheese and onions, top with a few pickle slices and the top bun
Check out the Recipe for other tasty dishes.