Looking to elevate your chicken drumstick game, then look no further then this quick and easy recipe for grilled bourbon chicken lollipops. Oh and did I mention they are a crowd please for any party or dinner setting and so easy to make? The secret ingredient is the homemade bourbon sauce. The sweet and savory notes from the sauce makes for the perfect chicken coating.
How to shape chicken lollipops.
For this recipe we’ll be using fresh pre-cut chicken drumsticks. To get the lollipop effect, trim the access chicken skin and meat along the leg of the drumstick.
Tip: Using a trimming knife, start at the bottom of the meaty part, slice around the bone and pull the skin down towards the joint. Trim off any access pieces left on the bone.
Next, season the chicken with your choice of all purpose BBQ rub. Hold the chicken lollipops by the joint and thoroughly season all around the meat for that extra flavor.
Fire up the grill and set it up for direct grilling. I like the temp to be 375 degrees. Place the seasoned chicken lollipops directly on the grate. Grill for 30 minutes.
How to make a bourbon glaze.
The star of this recipe, the one thing that makes this dish really stand out is the bourbon glaze.
In a sauce pan add ketchup, yellow mustard, Tabasco Sriracha, white wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, honey, dark brown sugar, BBQ seasoning and bourbon. The alcohol content will cook off making it safe for children to consume. All that’s left are the sweet and smokey notes.
Simmer the condiments over low heat, whisking occasionally until the mixture thickens.
Once the chicken reaches 165 degrees internally, dunk the chicken lollipops into the bourbon sauce. Continue grilling until the sauce starts to caramelize, approximately 2-3 more minutes.
Remove the bourbon chicken lollipops from the grill, add your favorite side and enjoy!
Printer friendly recipe below:
Bourbon Chicken Lollipops
Chicken Lollipop Ingredients
- 8 Chicken drumsticks
- 3 tbsp All purpose seasoning
Bourbon Sauce Ingredients
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 1/2 cup Dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Bourbon
- 2 tbsp Yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp Sriracha
- 2 tbsp White wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp BBQ seasoning
- Trim the chicken drumsticks to form a lollipop effect. Do so by cutting along the bottom of the meaty part and pulling the skin down towards the joint. Remove any access meat from the bone area.
- Season trimmed chicken lollipops with all purpose BBQ seasoning.
- Once the grill is heated up to 375 degrees, place the seasoned chicken lollipops directly on the grate and cook for 30 - 45 minutes.
- Simmer the condiments over low heat, whisking occasionally until the mixture thickens.
- Once the chicken reaches 165 degrees internally, dunk the chicken lollipops into the bourbon sauce. Continue grilling until the sauce starts to caramelize, approximately 2-3 more minutes.
Check out the Recipes for other tasty ideas!